Tuesday 26 March 2013

Final Word: Friends' kids grow up to be friends, too


About the only perk that comes with age is that you get to watch your friends' children turn into interesting young adults. Not only that, if you're lucky, they become your friends, too. I'm happy to report it's happened to us.
Caroline and Susannah. Annie. Kara. Sarah. I often see these "kids" now without their parents, which is fun because then we can talk about how weird their parents really are.
Lisa fell into this category, too. I first met Lisa almost 30 years ago, a special-needs young woman who never met a stranger. She made Kathie Lee Gifford look like a recluse.
Our relationship, apart from her parents, blossomed one summer when Lisa had a job standing on a street corner herding unsuspecting tourists onto a bus for a day of sightseeing in Washington. She was working the streets early, just as I was walking to work. I took advantage of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment